Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Love Poem

I wrote this some time ago and it won 2nd place in a poetry contest my senior year of high school. I hope you like it!


What would I give if I could live outside of these four walls?
What would I pay to spend the day warm in your arms?
Your fingertips caressing my skin,
the way dolphins swim through calm waters.
Your lips brushing against mine
sends a wave crashing against the shoreline.
But why go through the pain
of knowing I'll stay the same?
Knowing that these images that stream,
in my eyes are nothing but a dream...

You see me standing here, not your average girl.
You can search the world, and I'll be your only pearl.
I could have been your one and only,
you wouldn't have to spend your days so lonely.
But a tigress cannot  change her stripes, 
and just as a river is ever flowing, everchanging,
I'm always ripe, and your heart is rearranging, 
making space for someone you can't have forever,
kissing my forehead and saying
"But baby, we're cute together."

What you don't know is I can swim in those eyes, 
and be lost in your lies,
as I gleefully spin and swirl, twist and twirl,
without a care in the world. 
Your voice is as intangible as this love,
humming and resonating in my heart like a dove,
as it coos and sings
of much more impossible things.
But your whispers are a gift to mankind
as it makes my skin rise
and I willingly fall into your arms
and you grin at me with all your charm.
Come and sit a while with me so I can listen to you breathe
and make you believe
and you'll draw the conclusion
that what you see before you is naught but an illusion... 

I walked away this morning and didn't look back.
I didn't want false hopes that you would chase me.
On a day like today, like a sudden attack,
I realized how much I wanted you to embrace me.
Catch me when I fall,
start me when I stall.
Tickle me when I'm serious,
slap me when I'm delirious.
Hold me when I'm crying,
stay with me when I'm dying.
We may not make it through today,
We may not die together.
But for now all I need you to say is "I love you"
and make me light as a feather.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts here! I like constructive criticism; I only ask that you remain civil. Any foul or abrasive language will be looked down upon and deleted.